Friday, September 7, 2012

My Day with Sigi from My Little Shoppette


My Day with Sigi of MyLittleShoppette




A Brief Bio of Sigi

Sigi is originally from Germany, She came to the States in her 40s, so the main years of her life happened in Germany. 

 When she moved to the US, she could only bring 2 larger suitcases and a boarding bag on the plane. She could not bring many of her belongings with her. You can imagine how much they had accumulated in more than 40 years. Due to a lack of funds, she could not ship any furniture, she sold, whatever she could on flea markets, donated or gave to friends. 

This experience made her cherish the small things in life. She went to thrift shops and flea markets in the US and found so many beautiful buttons. Her collection started to grow fast. Sigi does do not collect by “price”, but by colors.


After an accident, which left her with a handicap on her left hand, She could not do any crafts for many years. She has now taught herself to knit and crochet again. She feels, it is not as perfect as it used to be. Sigi will do smaller projects like the rag rug coasters or her crochet appliques, which she then embellishes with buttons and beads. They are less time consuming for her. 




She often designs as she makes something. She starts to crochet a round or square and then with all the button and bead supplies she has, She will try to match colors and just create something someone will enjoy to look at.




My Interview with Sigi

I asked Sigi when did you first discover her creative talents or passion for your craft? 

“My Mom was a seamstress and my Dad a tailor for men. So I grew up sitting on a small chair at my mom’s feet while she was sewing something. I learned to knit and crochet at an early age and I think I can honestly say, that I knitted hundreds of sweaters in my life.”

“As a teenager I also always embroidered my jeans. This looked kind of,hippie style. I did cut one of the embellishments out of the jeans and I am happy it is one of those little things, that fit into my suitcases and I did not have to leave it behind.”




"When you look close on the left leg, you can see that embroidery."


Sigi how would define or describe your works style?

“You can probably call my style shabby chic, farmhouse style, cottage chic.”





I asked Sigi who or what has had the greatest influence on her and what inspires her to keep going and motivated?


“The greatest influence on me in life had my Mom and my Grandma. They worked so hard all the time and never gave up on anything. I just have to do something all the time. If it is not knitting, crochet, sorting buttons, then I draw little designs in my scrapbook, cut out paper stuff or write down little poems.”


’’Sometimes I sit down
and write"

"Thank You a hundred times.
It feels good to have so many things
to be grateful for.
I chose to let the good into my life
and fight the bad.
The sky is always wide
and wider at some places.
I reach out often
and answers come along all the time.
I am always ready to spread my wings and fly high
and I know, I leave the dark souls behind,
because they are too heavy to reach the sky.’’



How does creating art make you feel?

“I do have a part time job, which is very stressful. 
Just sitting at my crafts table, looking at all my jars full of colorful buttons, seeing my supplies and my finished projects, makes me happy, relaxed and I feel like I am not totally wasting my time on doing nothing.”


How many hours a day or week do you create or spend time on your shop?

“2 to 3 hours a day and as many hours on the weekend as I have spare time.”




A Great visual of Sigi's workspace!





Sigi shares her Shop and Etsy Experience


How has your experience been on Etsy Sigi?

“My experience selling buttons is very good. Supplies are always needed. I started my Etsy shop in March of 2012 and already have 120 sales. 
Selling my hand made things is much harder, but I do not mind. I always have a little hard time to let go of own creations ;)”

When asked, What’s the hardest part of being an artist and shop owner? She Replied 

“The hardest part for me is showing my own creations, exposing myself to the judgement of others and letting go of any of them. I am a very private person. I do not like my picture seen anywhere and I only share my thoughts with people I trust, Etsy and my crafting friends on Facebook make it easier for me to open up. I came to realize, that crafting / designing people are usually positive thinking and friendly people…the kind of people, I want to be around.”

What has been your most exciting moment as an artist here on Etsy?

“Selling so many buttons and creating the treasuries. I love treasuries!”

What are your goals? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“My goals are to stay positive at all times, no matter what else life brings to me. In 5 years, I still want to be able to crochet and knit and “play with buttons” as my husband calls it.”

What advice if any do you have for new Etsy shop owners?

“Explore all the sites of Etsy. Promote and join teams. Share your thoughts and help other with advise where you can help. Don’t give up too soon and do not get discouraged. Invest daily time to keep up promoting and success will come.”

Sigi closed by saying:

“Be nice to me and I will try to give you the world.”




Thank you so much to Sigi for taking time out of her busy schedule to spend some time with me and sharing your story and advice with us!! You are a true inspiration! 





Please Like Sigi on Facebook 

and

Follow on Pinterest 



By: Ash

Join us on Team Elite

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! What an amazing interview feature, I love Shop at MyLittleShoppettes advice for Etsy shop owners! The interview was so inspiring, and beautiful!