Sunday, September 2, 2012

Meet our treasury challenge winner from PureSpiritCollections

Hi Kim, I am so glad to have you here with us today!  We would love to know more about you and your shop, would you tell us what is the name of your Etsy shop and share the link? 
Pure Spirit Collection
www.etsy.com/shop/PureSpiritCollection



How has your experience been on Etsy?
I love Etsy!!! The response to my clothing has been amazing and I feel totally valued as a designer of unique clothing.



What has been your most exciting moment as an artist here on Etsy?
Wow, how do I choose!!! Everytime I'm acknowledged in favourites or treasuries and/or when I sell something is exciting for me.



Do you have any advice for new Etsy shop owners?
Firstly, a photo is everything!!! Take time for photographing your items in a relevant setting, get a good camera for the job, especially for close up work if you have small items... Edit your pics, even if it's just cropping. It takes time but is worth it...
Secondly, with etsy particularly, take time to learn about SEO or search engine optimization, which includes fine tuning your tags and titles. There's plenty in the forums about this subject, it's a bit of a mine field but worth taking the time to learn... It will get your listings noticed on Etsy as well as outside of Etsy.
And last but not least get out and about on forums, search for your inclusion within treasuries (as not everyone tells you they have included you) and always leave a thank you, it's just polite when someone has taken the time to include your item.




How long have you been an artist? 

I've been designing and making clothes since 2006, when I began a UV dance troop. I began my business and professionally began making clothes from 2008.



Who or what had the greatest influence on you as you developed as an artist? 
People's reactions out in the clubs and festivals in the UK to the costumes I was creating for the troop, as well as the troops reactions to their costumes. I thought in London there would be LOTS of peeps dressed up but this wasn't the case at all and I would get people coming up to me and my dancers saying 'Where did you find that?!!!' and when I said I'd made it, they wanted my contact details.... This just made me want to make lots of funky things.




How would you characterize your work? 

I've a lot of different styles!!! There's fairy, pixie, elven wear and floaty clothing, that's great for something different for everyday, evening or festivals. I also love to make party wear. I love neon clothing and design it so it looks beautiful in normal lights but breath taking under fluorescent lighting.




How do you feel when people interpret your artwork differently?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!! It's great to see a different interpretation of my clothing or it being worn in a way I would never of thought of. Change is the only constant and my designs are always evolving due to others influences and ideas, if others are influenced by my designs then that's cool.




Describe your workshops for us: 

I don't do workshops in design, although I do teach Reiki (but that's another story!!)



What’s the hardest part of being an artist? 

Having enough hours in the day to do and make all I want to!!
Being a perfectionist!!




How many hours a day do you create?

Not enough!!!! It varies and depends what I have to do. Some days I can spend all day in my workshop as I've orders that need to be shipped. I also have a friend who works for me and helps with designs and sewing, she comes over on some weekends and we'll sew together the whole time shes here.
It's a fine balance because it also takes a lot of time to photograph and list items too but once I'm in my workshop I don't want to leave!!!




How does creating art make you feel? 

I love creating!!! I've been working with spiritual concepts for the past 20 years and I truly feel that when we create we are with the Creator!! When we start with any blank canvas, whatever that may be (fabric, metal, paper) and make it into something or create something like an article of clothing, a piece of jewelry or art, poem, picture etc then we are using the creative force and working with one of the most powerful energies in the Universe.






“What is Art?” is certainly too big of a question to ask here, but what do you hope your audience takes away from your art? What statement do you hope to make?

As I said previously, each and everytime I create is a very powerful experience for me. I hope that people can feel the love and energy that is infused within each piece of clothing that I make, and that is then infused into them while they are wearing it. There is a reason why my label is called Pure Spirit and hope that people can be pure spirits while wearing my clothes.
Too much is associated with the ego and fashion, especially in the commercial fashion industry. Ego in Latin actually means 'I am' and over the years I've always expressed myself with my clothing. Clothes are a reflection of who we are and how we feel, the colours we choose to wear affect our moods. Some of us like floaty designs while others prefer more structured clothing. It is all a reflection of what is happening on the inside of us and is a very important process for each and everyone of us as individuals. When we fall in love with a top or know that we need to go out in a certain colour, it's always worth looking a little deeper into why that is. What the colour represents or why a certain design is attracting us to it... If we can truly express our inner selves with our outer clothes, then this can make us feel happy and secure and is a great foundation to begin to explore the rest of the world around us on the level we find ourselves at. As with all things there must be a balance and if fashion becomes our only focus then it is unhealthy. Use fashion to find yourself then see what and where that guides you to...





What are your artistic goals? 
To have all the designs in my head made up into real items of clothing!!!




How have you handled the business side of being an artist? 

I used to run a new age gift shop for 8 years, so this gave me a bit of a heads up on the business side.
As soon as I could afford it I began employing an accountant as I'd rather be making clothes than doing accounts!!!




Where else on the internet can we find your work besides Etsy?

I also sell on ebay although you will find more choice on Etsy but you can find my ebay shop here - stores.ebay.co.uk/Pure-Spirit-Collection
I also sell crystals on Etsy in a shop called Pure Spirit Crystals you can find here - www.etsy.com/shop/PureSpiritCrystals
I have another Etsy shop called Kazee's Bazaar where I sell vintage and other interesting items, that you can find here -www.etsy.com/shop/KazeesBazaar




Thanks again for choosing my treasury and I'll enter again soon... Best wishes!  Kim xxx

Thank you Kim for this inspiring interview, we really enjoyed getting to know you! 

No comments: